OZ Life

OZ Life

Do I need a visa and how do I apply for an Australian visa?
Every non-Citizen requires a visa to enter and to remain in Australia. Refer the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website for detailed information on how to apply, the correct forms to use and current application fees and charges. If you decide you would like or need assistance, please let us know or click here for free immigration assessment .

What services do you provide?
Ozlife specialise in:

  • business migration
  • skilled migration
  • regional skilled migration
  • retirement visas
  • family migration

For further details please visit our services

How many people will be granted the right of permanent residence in Australia this year?
The planning level for the migration (non-humanitarian) programme for 2007/8 is has been set at 152,800 places.

How do I find out if I am eligible to apply?
Please click here for a summary of the current immigration regulations or click here to complete a free, no-obligation immigration assessment with an officially-recognised immigration agent.

Where can I get information about testing for English Language skills?

Refer: http://www.ielts.org for information about the General IELTS Test and Form 966i

Will the immigration authorities or Embassy help me to prepare my application and make sure that everything is correct before applying?
No. This type of service is no longer provided by Government. The authorities exist to enforce the immigration law, make decisions on residence applications and to issue residence visas. Although basic information and application forms are available, the authorities are unable to provide independent advice and personalized guidance on your specific case. Only an Australian Registered Migration Agent like Ozlife can provide this kind of service.

Why should or shouldn't I use a migration agent?

An agent is very useful if you have the money but not the time, or if you have an unusual case (unclear work experience, criminal record, prior immigration offences, medical problems etc.). If your case is straightforward, it is possible to apply without the aid of an agent, provided you have a firm understanding of what is required. Usually extensive research is necessary before one is able to lodge a visa application, especially if it's a skilled visa application. If you decide to engage a migration agent, ensure he/she is a registered migration agent by checking his/her credentials at http://www.themara.com.au/Online/ARSearch.asp?DeptID=140.

What if I have told DIAC something in my application that changes during processing of my application?

You are under duty to advise DIAC of any changes to your circumstances which results in an answer in your application no longer being correct, or if you find you have answered a question incorrectly. If you are overseas when the visa is granted this obligation to notify DIAC continues until you arrive in Australia. If DIAC discover that you have not complied with the obligation to give correct information they are entitled to consider cancelling the visa.

Will I get priority processing of my skilled visa application?
You cannot request priority processing as this is provided under the Minister’s priority processing direction. This currently covers applications from those who have an occupation on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL) , or who have sponsorship by relatives in a designated area of Australia or who have a State or Territory Nomination (STNI). Applications with priority processing generally take approx 6 months from time of application to a visa decision, whereas an application without priority processing generally takes 10 to 12+ months. However, from experience these processing times can fluctuate greatly.

How long does it take to get a permanent residence visa to immigrate to Australia?

Every application is different and processing times largely depend on the type of visa being applied for. As a general rule however, it takes most applicants for permanent residence visas in Australia 6 to 18 months (including the time required to prepare the application before lodgement) to receive a decision on their visa application. Spousal cases and temporary work visas tend to be a little quicker at 6 to 9 months, while applicants requiring professional registration can take an additional 6 to 12 months to process.

Do I have to provide an original skills assessment with my visa application?

The Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre, DIAC can require the original skills assessment. We suggest you have a copy of the original skills classification letter certified to retain for your records.

I don’t have any formal qualifications – will I be able to get a positive skills assessment?
It will depend upon your occupation. Several Australian assessing authorities will assess an applicant based on extensive work experience in lieu of formal qualifications, that is the Australian Institute of Management, the Australian Computer Society and Trades Recognition Australia. Without qualifications, you must be able to show sound evidence of the development of your skill from the time you started in your occupation until you can demonstrate you reached the level of ‘skill’ expected of an Australian in the same occupation. The supporting documentation is critical and we would suggest you get professional assistance to have the best chance of success.

I don’t have my ETA approval numbers to include in the application form – what shall I do?
Many people do not retain such records not knowing they will ever be needed again – in this case write “ETA” in the box provided for the number, and ensure you provide details of all previous trips to Australia in your submission. If you are a bit hazy on past travel dates, explain that they are provided to the best of your knowledge.

Can the immigration authorities refuse my application?
Yes. A surprisingly large number of applicants are unaware how strictly the immigration regulations are enforced and are often unnecessarily refused or delayed due to technical errors on their application or by submitting the wrong supporting documentation. So the moral of the story is to seek the professional guidance and independent advice of a migration consultant before lodging an application for residence. Migration Agents exist to help you find the best way through the immigration maze and are highly effective in doing so.

Once my visa is approved, how long before I must move?
Normally, your arrival must be within one year from the date of your medical tests or police certificates, which occur during the processing of your Australian residence visa application. So, if you deduct part of the official processing time, you will generally be left with 6 to 12 months to land in Australia.The exception is for temporary visas, such as work visas, in which case you may only have a number of months to enter the country.


© OzLife 2008 | Website Design by Low Cost Web Design Melbourne